Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mis-Quoted...They Got The Sentiment Right

Occasionally we get asked for "on the fly quotes" from deadline crunched reporters. I am always happy to quote a good article about sharks, shark conservation, and the state of the industry.

So when I got a call from the NY Times a week ago they got my quote. The "devil" as they say, "is in the in the details".

For the record I am not and have never been a "commercial diver", nor do I consider myself a "shark expert" as I have often blogged about. Being an expert in the wildlife game suggests you have little else to learn-and sharks always have something to teach us on a commercial level. Many of the self ascribed "shark experts" I have met over the years turned out to be stark raving loons.

Back to the article. The main point of what I had to say was correct. The future of shark diving and of commercial aquariums seems to be leaning towards land based mega projects where divers can stay at hotels and dive different environments from an Amazon Rain Forest to the Arctic and beyond...all in one week.

Sounds crazy? We're already offering this across America from the Whale Shark encounters in Georgia to Sand Tigers in Florida. Ironically ocean based commercial shark diving has been banned in Florida-seems aquarium shark dives are safer. Of course that's up for debate, but I digress.

Mega projects will definitely happen in the next 5-10 years. As local dive sites continue to diminish worldwide, lost to algae, coral bleaching and runoff-the need for "ease of access" dive sites with charismatic megafauna will continue to grow.

There will, thankfully, always be a base for live aboard dive expeditions. The article we quoted this week is one look into the future, albeit a bit underfunded, it's just another proof of concept.

Patric Douglas CEO

No comments: