Friday, March 2, 2012

Who's Running With The Bulls?

Patric Douglas with a 27 inch buck!
Each spring, as if by magic, massive Bull Trout (Salvelinus confluentus) run up a few select rivers in the Pacific Northwest.

For those who know me, they know that's where I can be found.

Our Tiger Shark season in the Bahamas is still a few weeks away so I am currently trudging through almost five feet of fresh snow pack to access crystal clear rivers in the hopes of encountering this unusual fly fishing quarry.

It's also damn cold up at these higher elevations, did I mention that?

Some call this pursuit of giant and rare native fish 'crazy.' I find the quiet solace of the rivers with their endless curving snow covered vistas a place to call home.

This five pound buck came to hand after a 15 minute battle and a few screaming runs up and down stream and was released carefully back into his native waters to spawn and continue his amazing life.

If you want to discover more about these increasingly rare critters you can go here

As for me the next few days will be spent battling the wintry elements in hopes of meeting a few more River Titans before the inevitable pull of warmer waters and much, much, bigger fish finds me face to face with a few of our Tiger friends in the middle of March.


Patric Douglas CEO

No comments: